The Editor’s Choice section of the Google Play Store has today received a huge makeover with the launch of Android Excellence, an expansion of the Play Store.
Android Excellence will also focus on the editorial side of Google Play by offering editors a way to showcase apps and games of the best quality, while also regularly rotating them. This will allow editors to indicate to developers what kind of apps Google is looking to showcase on its platform.
Google has said that the apps and games that will be on display will be the editors choice, based on “incredible user experience on Android, whether it takes advantage of Google’s best practices, or have great design, technical performance, localization, or device optimization.”
The Google blog said the following regarding the new update in a post,
Android Excellence collections will refresh quarterly and can be found within the revamped Editors’ Choice section of the Play Store – which includes app and game reviews curated by our editorial team.
The Android Excellence feature has been split into two collections- apps and games. The first list of apps and games has been released and will be rotated in the next quarter. The list includes the following-
Android Excellence Apps:
- AliExpress by Alibaba Mobile
- B&H Photo Video by B&H Photo Video
- Citymapper by Citymapper Limited
- Drivvo by Drivvo
- drupe by drupe
- Evernote by Evernote Corporation
- Hotel Tonight by HotelTonight
- Kitchen Stories by Kitchen Stories
- Komoot by komoot GmbH
- Lifesum by Lifesum
- Memrise by Memrise
- Pocket by Read It Later
- Runtastic Running & Fitness Tracker by Runtastic
- Skyscanner by Skyscanner Ltd
- Sleep as Android by Urbandroid Team
- Vivino by Vivino
Android Excellence Games:
- After the End Forsaken Destiny by Nexon M Inc.
- CATS: Crash Arena Turbo Stars by ZeptoLab
- Golf Clash by Playdemic
- Hitman GO Square Enix Ltd
- Horizon Chase – World Tour by Aquiris Game Studio S.A
- Kill Shot Bravo by Hothead Games
- Lineage Red Knights by Ncsoft Corporation
- Nonstop Knight by flaregames
- PAC-MAN 256 – Endless Maze by Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe
- Pictionary by Etermax
- Reigns by DevolverDigital
- Riptide GP: Renegade by Vector Unit
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes by Electronic Arts
- Titan Brawl by Omnidrone
- Toca Blocks by Toca Boca
- Transformers: Forged to Fight by Kabam
This list does not comprise of new apps and games, indicating that release time isn’t Google’s primary criteria for selecting apps. The Android Excellence section is now live and currently shows on Android devices, as well as the web under the Editors’ Choice section.
Just recently, Apple has also introduced a new revamped App Store, placing more focus on editorials than ever before. This update has brought about plans for stories about the apps and how to’s, interviews, and a lot more features like specially curated lists and ‘app of the day’.
The “anonymous guy” behind the desk who keeps pushing press releases and sponsored content on our site.
P.S. Don’t go to the profile pic on the left, we keep trolling one of our own writers with this… :p