Just a week after greeting the users with an updated Mobile Insider Preview Build No. 14322, Microsoft has rolled out yet another update to the Fast Ring Users on the Windows 10 Mobile platform. The new build number is cited to be 14327, which introduces the Messaging Everywhere BETA and Cortana in three more updated languages.
This build bring the Mobile Insider Preview much at par with the features in the Desktop-version of the Windows 10 Insider Builds.
Let’s take a look at the new features introduced in this build, in full detail –
The Messaging Everywhere Preview
This is one of the features that was announced at Build, as a part of the Universal Platform for Windows, but hadn’t been delivered until today. You can now try out the preview of the “Messaging everywhere” feature in Windows 10 that allows you to send and receive text messages from your phone directly from your Windows 10 PC’s.
This means that if you own a Windows 10 Mobile, you can now easily sync your Mobile Messaging to the PC Messaging feature and enjoy Messaging form the confines of your desktop, without having to pickup your phone, while working.
Steps to enable Messaging Everywhere are –
- Make sure you are signed in with your Microsoft Account (MSA).
- On your phone – make sure “Send texts on all my Windows devices” is turned on.
- On your PC – make sure you have chosen which phone to send messages through. You do this in the settings of the Messaging app on your PC (screenshot below).
If you update and use this feature, you will notice that the Skype Integration has been removed in this build of Windows Mobile 10. Microsoft has gone ahead with this decision because they would be streamlining the Skype experience and replacing the integration with the Skype UWP Preview app for mobile in an upcoming build.
Cortana in more languages
With this build, Micrsoft is enabling Cortana for the Spanish (Mexico), Portuguese (Brazil) and French (Canada) languages for Mobile (available previously in PC builds). If you’re running the Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview in these languages – give Cortana a try, just set focus to a text field and tap the microphone above the keyboard. The Cortana Team is working hard to develop a custom experience for each individual market and language. These are early versions that will continue to improve based on the user feedback. Voice input is also now available for these languages.
Other features that have been polished and improved by Microsoft in this Build are –
- Fixed the issue where in some cases your phone’s screen may not turn on and become unresponsive and Windows Hello stops working if you used the power button to lock/unlock your phone quickly.
- Fixed the issue where in some cases, users might get in a state where neither space or enter are working on the keyboard.
- Fixed the issue causing Facebook Messenger and other apps like WeChat, Transfer My Data, and UC Browser from failing to launch from Start or All apps.
- Fixed an issue where diverse emoji couldn’t be deleted from the text box in an interactive notification.
- Updated the autocorrection logic so that if you have a word that’s about to be autocorrected, tapping the word you just typed will now stop the autocorrection from happening.
- Updated the Glance screen so it will now reflect Ease of Access text scaling.
- Fixed an issue where tethering over Bluetooth wouldn’t work if Bluetooth had never been turned on before.
- Fixed an issue where you couldn’t set a sample image as a lock screen background.
Known issues in Build
- UPDATE: Investigating issues with downloading Language and Speech packs being reported by Windows Insiders.
- Feedback Hub is not localized and the UI will be in English (U.S.) only even with language packs installed.
- Investigating a crash with the Camera app when going into your camera roll.
- There is an issue in which you may see duplicate apps under All apps showing as pending despite being installed and usable on your phone. You may also see some apps stuck in the Store. To get out of this state, just start and pause a download in the Store and then choose to “resume all” downloads.
- You may see square boxes in certain apps when using some of the new emoji – we’re still getting support for the new emoji added throughout the systems, this will be resolved in a future build.
- There is a bug we’re investigating that prevents some apps such as Tweetium from launching.
- Investigating issues which cause mobile data to stop working but show as connected.
- Glance on/off setting is not respected after updating to a new build. After updating, you can reset this setting to what you had before.
Even though this new Mobile Insider Build has introduced only a couple new features compared to the previous one, but we expect the addition of significantly new Universal features to the platform soon.