In the current digital landscape, there are numerous networks and services that facilitate communication, helping people keep in touch and feel closer to each other, regardless of the distance that separates them. And then there’s Discord – a platform that can do all that and more, and that in the relatively short period of time since it’s been around has become a favorite place for people to hang out virtually.
In the most technical sense, Discord is an instant messaging and digital distribution platform, but this is a description that doesn’t do it justice, because Discord can be so much more than that. For some people it’s the upgraded version of the good old-fashioned forums that were once all the rage in the online social environment. For others it represents an opportunity to create private spaces where they can chat with their closest friends. No matter how it’s being used, one thing’s for sure – Discord goes well beyond gaming, which is what the platform was initially known for, and we’ll explain just how it happened.
How it started vs how it’s going
Discord first saw the light of the internet back in 2015, when Jason Citron and Stanislav Vishnevsky teamed up and decided to create a service that would allow gamers to communicate easier with each other and improve their gaming experience, and that’s exactly what they did. Soon after its launch, Discord turned into the go-to place for gamers to interact, cooperate and build communities based on their common passion.
But that was only the beginning. As the platform grew, so did people’s interest in trying out the service, and Discord went from being a platform that was mostly used by gamers into an app that can be used by literally everyone for a lot of different purposes. On the company’s website, it is stated that Discord is now used by everyone, from local hiking clubs to art communities, or study groups to talk, hang out, and build relationships. They also reveal that 78% of all active users on the platform say they use Discord for non-gaming activities.
All the benefits you get to enjoy on Discord
So how did Discord manage to become such a popular tool when there are so many social apps and messaging services crowding the online environment? Well, the answer lies in the numerous benefits it provides for its users. Basically, Discord is an all-stop shop for people who want to communicate and interact virtually. Here are some of the advantages users can enjoy on the platform:
- Ease of use – Unlike other apps or software that require a little time to get used to, Discord is incredibly easy to use, ensuring a smooth experience for all users. Anyone can create an account in just a few simple steps, by entering a username, an email, and a password. Also, the service created a tutorial for those who are new to the platform and may need a little help to get around.
- Engaging features – Most of Discord’s appeal lies in the many interesting features it offers, that differentiate the service from others. There are so many things you can do on Discord, from communicating directly via voice, video, or text to joining servers on different topics, streaming live games, sharing multimedia content, and so on. New features are developed constantly to keep things interesting.
- Privacy and safety – When it comes to safety and privacy, Discord doesn’t disappoint either, being one of the safest services of its kind. You can control the level of interaction with other users and servers, or limit data collection. However, you can always add extra layers of protection to make sure that your Discord experience is secure and enjoy peace of mind.
- Customization – Another thing that gets users excited is the possibility to create your own unique experience on Discord. Apart from the fact that Discord provides users with a great level of control over their accounts, the platform is highly customizable. This means that users can customize the aspect of the platform, or add extra features such as bots to make the whole experience more dynamic and entertaining.
- Free service – Users get to enjoy all the benefits listed above for free, at least for the time being. But if Discord is free to download and use, and they don’t have ads either, how does it make money? They do have a few Nitro subscription packages that users can buy if they want to enjoy extra features. You can get the Nitro Classic package for $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year, or the premium Discord Nitro package that costs $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year.
How to make the most of your Discord experience
Now that you know what Discord is all about and what benefits it can provide, you might want to find out how you can enhance your Discord experience. As we’ve already mentioned, customization is one of the aspects that make Discord such a popular and unique service.
Depending on your interests and needs, you can either search for communities where you can interact with like-minded people and join servers, or create them yourself. Once you’ve created your own servers, you can manage them as you see fit, start channels on topics that interest you, and talk with as many people as you want for as long as you want.
For those looking for a higher level of interactivity, there’s the possibility to watch multiple streams at the same time. And if that’s not enough, you can always add some bots in the mix to enhance your server.
Discord is one of those rare online services that provide an impressive number of features and benefits for its users and asks for nothing in return. So, while it may have started as a gaming-related platform, Discord is now an amazing service that welcomes everyone with open arms.