For several years now, there have been few jailbreaks, ever since Apple made major changes to the iOS infrastructure. But now they are starting to creep back, and one very good jailbreak released to support iOS 13 and iOS 14 is Checkra1n. However, it does require your computer to install it, and, right now, it only works on macOS.
How to Download Checkra1n:
Before downloading the jailbreak, there are some things you need to know:
- Right now, the only macOS is supported, but Windows support is expected in the near future
- It is a semi-untethered jailbreak so, if your device reboots, for whatever reason, the jailbreak must be reactivated using your Mac computer
- Checkra1n supports all A5 to A11 64-bit devices
- The jailbreak works on iOS 12.4 to iOS 14
- If you have an iPhone 5S, iPad Mini, iPad Air, iPad 2, or iPad 3, the jailbreak is only an experimental tool at the moment.
- Cydia is the default package manager, but you can add Sileo if you prefer. Future updates will bring support for other package managers
If you are ready to download Checkra1n on your iPhone or iPad, follow these steps:
- Back your device data up with iTunes and/or iCloud
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac
- If your device displays the Trust This Computer message, tap Yes
- Download the Checkra1n jailbreak onto your Mac
- Double-click on the .dmg file
- Drag Checkra1n into Applications and then open the Applications folder
- Right-click on the jailbreak file and click Show Package Contents
- Click Checkra1n > Contents > macOS
- Double-click on the checkra1n_gui file and wait – the jailbreak will open
- Make sure your connected device has been recognized by the jailbreak and click on the Start
- You will now have to place your iPhone in DFU mode – click on Next
- Click on Start and follow the on-screen directions – once your device has successfully been placed into DFU, the jailbreak begins
- Leave your device alone – you will see the verbose boot screen displaying the Checkra1n theme, and this will stay there until the jailbreak has successfully completed
- Once the jailbreak is done, close the app
- Tap on the Checkra1n icon on your home page
- Tap on Cydia > install Cydia, and the setup will complete – the Cydia icon loads on your home screen when it’s all done
How to Install Sileo:
If you prefer to use the Sileo package manager, you need to add the repository into Cydia. Here’s how you do that:
- Open Cydia and tap on Sources
- Tap on Edit > Add
- Type repo.sileoteam.apps into the URL field
- Tap Add Source, and the repository is installed
If you choose to do this, Cydia will automatically be uninstalled, and the default shell gets set to zsh.
How to Delete Checkra1n Jailbreak:
If you find that you need to remove Checkra1n from your device, deleting it is simple. If you don’t want the jailbreak any longer and you have no intentions of reinstalling a jailbreak, just restore your device with iTunes or iCloud, using the backup you took before you installed it.
If you need to fix an issue with the jailbreak and it requires deleting and reinstalling it, you need an app named Cydia Eraser. You can only download this via Cydia, so download it now. Cydia Eraser will delete Checkra1n from your device but will retain your iOS version:
- Open Cydia Eraser
- Tap on Delete All Data and Unjailbreak Your Device
- Tap on Delete All
- Wait – this may take a while
- Your iPhone will restart when the jailbreak is removed, and it will be to the state it was at before you installed Checkra1n
- Set your device up and reinstall the jailbreak if you want to
Frequently Asked Questions:
Checkra1n is one of the better jailbreaks we have right now, and some questions are frequently being asked about it. Here are the answers:
What is Checkra1n?
Checkra1n is a new jailbreak that supports iOS 12. 4 through iOS 14. With one of the largest active communities, it is semi-untethered and is built on the checkm8 bootrom exploit. This makes it both stable and reliable.
Is Windows Supported?
No, not yet. Right now, the developers have only provided macOS support, but we have it on good authority that a Windows version will be released at some time in the near future. In the meantime, Windows users can use the Unc0ver jailbreak, which is just as good as Checkra1n.
Is it safe to use?
Yes. Checkra1n has been thoroughly tested and is also monitored constantly. Already, it is proving to be a stable, reliable jailbreak utility, but you should always back up your data before you start, just in case anything goes wrong.
Checkra1n is one of the best jailbreaks to be released in recent times, offering stability and reliability, along with all your favorite apps, tweaks, mods, and more. Go ahead, download it on your iPhone or iPad today.