If you are looking for an alternative way of installing apps and games to your iOS device, look no further than AppCake. Once only available to jailbreakers as a Cydia tweak, AppCake can now be used by anyone with an iPhone or iPad who wants to install unsigned IPA files. It’s free to use, so read on to find out all you need to know.
How to Install AppCake:
Installing AppCake is pretty easy to do. While you don’t need to jailbreak your device to use it, you can still do so if you want. If you choose not to, the only other way to install it is by downloading the configuration profile onto your device. Before you do this, you need to be aware of one thing – AppCake involves you signing the IPA files with enterprise certificates. Apple can, and frequently does, revoke these, crashing the app and leaving you starting over. You can install an anti-revoke app or a recommended VPN to stop this from happening. You should also use the Safari browser for the download as it tends to work better than the others.
- Open the Safari browser on your device and go to the linked AppCake download page.
- Download AppCake and tap Install on the message asking for permission.
- When the AppCake icon shows up on your home screen, the installation has been successful.
What is AppCake?
AppCake was a Cydia tweak developed by iPhoneCake and first released in 2008 by iPASTORE. Now, it is available for all iOS users and is an iOS platform designed to help you install those files that Apple won’t sign and allow into their official store. It is a bit like Cydia Impactor, another sideloading tool, but there is one big difference – with Cydia Impactor, you have to download and install your own IPA files but, with AppCake, there are already thousands of files pre-installed. All of these apps and games are free to install and use, and if you can’t find what you want, you can simply download the relevant file from the internet and then use AppCake to install it.
AppCake no longer requires a jailbreak to work and is compatible with all devices on iOS 9 through iOS 14.
How to Fix Untrusted Developer Error:
When you tap the AppCake icon for the first time, you are likely to see an Untrusted Developer error. This is just Apple’s way of telling you the app is unofficial, and the developer cannot be trusted. You can trust the developer:
- Open iOS Settings
- Go to General and then Profiles & Device Management.
- Tap the developer name in the profiles list
- Tap the Trust option and close Settings
AppCake can now be used.
How to Use AppCake:
There are two ways to use AppCake:
Method 1: Pre-Installed Apps
- Open AppCake
- Find an app or game you want to install and tap it.
- Follow the on-screen directions to install it.
- If necessary, fix the untrusted developer error, and the app is yours to use.
Method 2: External IPA Files
- Open Safari browser and download your IPA files from reputable sites.
- Send the file to AppCake and then open AppCake.
- Go to Downloads and tap on the app.
- It will be signed and installed.
Does AppCake Only Work on Jailbroken Devices
No. Once, you would have needed Cydia to install and use AppCake but not anymore. Now any iOS user can install AppCake and use it to install modified and tweaked apps for free. You can also install a jailbreak using AppCake as it includes Electra and Unc0ver utilities, along with streaming apps like MediaBox HD and Popcorn Time.
Is AppCake Safe?
Yes, it is. Now you don’t need a jailbreak to use it, and you are not compromising your device by hacking into the iOS root. Plus, the developers monitor the app and issue updates whenever an issue is found and fixed.
What Features Do I Get With AppCake?
AppCake offers lots of useful features, not least the thousands of unofficial games and apps built-in, You also get to download your own IPA files using reputable sites on the internet, and you get all of these neat features:
- File Manager – a built-in file manager, helps you monitor and manage your downloads.
- Web Server – a built-in web server means you can download and upload files between your device and computer and access your files using any browser
- Search Facility – makes it much easier to find what you want to download.
- Customized Settings – options to fix app crashes on iOS 12 and iOS 13, set your files to automatically install once downloaded, and much more.
Aside from all that, AppCake is 100% free to use and is safe. Try it today, and it could become the way you download all your apps and games in the future.