And Windows Insiders continue to get new updates to the Windows 1o by Microsoft. Microsoft has launched a new Windows 10 Preview called Build 14279 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring.
The personal assistant Cortana has got major improvements in the new build along with Sway integration with Photos app and a new update to the Xbox app (beta) for Windows 10.
In addition to it, firmware updates for Lumia devices will now be auto-published for Windows Insiders when they become available. This, according to Microsoft, will eliminate the gap in time between when firmware was available for retail customers and Windows Insiders, as well as eliminating the manual steps that were previously required
Cortana is now available in three more languages namely Spanish (Mexico), Portuguese (Brazil), and French (Canada) languages.
“For each new market and language, the Cortana Team works to develop a custom experience that is relevant in each individual market and language. For instance, in Brazil – Cortana is fond of pasteis which is a common food found in many regions across Brazil,” announced Gabe Aul, Corporate Vice President, Engineering Systems Team via a blog post.
In addition to it, Cortana will be able to automatically set detailed reminders for you and can later retrieve those reminders as well at the relevant time. Microsoft says that in future, Cortana will be able to retrieve these reminders upon request, just like a human personal assistant.
The new build also brings single background for both the Lock screen and the logon screen, just like Windows 10 mobile. If one has a custom lock screen background, then now it will be used for logon screen as well.
Gabe Aul further wrote that Microsoft was also working on some additional tweaks here to make the transition between the Lock screen and logging in much smoother.
The typing experience is expected to get smoother in the new build with improved performance of IME and extended prediction content. The new Xbox update will bring along some new features including a Gamerscore Leaderboard and an updated ‘Featured’ section.
Sway integration with Photos app allows the photo albums to become an “interactive, web-based experience where you can use Sway to add section headers, text narration, captions, and other details to enhance the flow of your narrative and create your own story.”
The issues which have been fixed in this new build include:
- crashing of Edge and Cortana for users with roaming profiles
- completed reminders being shown by Cortana
- copied items on the desktop not showing until choosing Refresh or using F5
- bluescreen problem while downloading certain drivers from Windows Update
The knows issues for the PC as per Microsoft include:
- Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Book devices experiencing a freeze or hang and all input such as keyboard/trackpad and touch do not work. The workaround is to hold down the power button to force the device to hard-reboot.
- Freezing PCs or bluescreen while resuming from hibernation. Disabling hibernation is a workaround in some cases until this is fixed.
- Connectivity to older Wi-Fi networks using the WEP encryption security method may be broken. A workaround would be to configure your wireless routers to use WPA or WPA2 or wait for the next Insider flight when this is fixed.
- Turning on the “always show all icons in the notification area” setting disrupts the layout of the notification area (“systray”) causing it to go out of alignment.
- If you have Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Internet Security, or the Kaspersky Total Security Suite installed on your PC there is a known driver bug that prevents these programs from working as expected in builds from the Development Branch. There are no known workarounds yet and until the issue is present, Microsoft recommends using Windows Defender or another third party anti-virus product of your choice to remain protected.
- OS reliability issue causing crashes with apps such as QQ. The bug is also impacting older apps such as Windows Live Mail and Expression Encoder 4.